How To Put Your Dog On the Road to Recovery with VetSmart Formulas Advanced Hip + Joint Complex
Given the amount of running, jumping, wrestling, fetching, and playing dogs do on a daily basis, it’s no wonder that they often hurt their joints. It’s a terrible feeling to watch your dog limp around on a swollen leg or simply stop running altogether. Fortunately, dogs are resilient, and they can recover from these types of injuries, with a little assistance from their beloved human companions. At Pet Wellness Direct, we provide outstanding supplements to help pets recuperate from injuries and live their best, healthiest lives. In the following blog, we’ll explain how our VetSmart Formulas Advanced Hip + Joint Complex can help your dog on the road to recovery.
The Recovery Process
When your dog injures one or more of his or her joints, you will need to set aside some time for recovery. Healing simply doesn’t just happen overnight. Even if you seek professional veterinary treatment, you can’t expect your pet to get better instantaneously. You may need to work to make life easier for your dog while he or she heals. It’s important to be patient with your pet during this time and provide your dog with every advantage possible to speed his or her recovery. With the right strategies in place, you can help your pet recuperate happily and regain all of his or her strength. In the rest of this article, you’ll learn a bit more about how dogs tend to heal from these types of injuries and what you can to do to enhance this process.
As we’ve discussed above, numerous elements influence how quickly and how well your dog recovers from a joint injury. The recovery process can take weeks or months, depending on the specific circumstances. The factors that often affect dogs’ recuperation from joint injuries include:
- The type of injury suffered. Not all joint issues are created equal. Milder injuries or those that affect smaller portions of the body may be easier to recover from than more serious joint problems, such as tears that require surgery.
- Other ailments. Your dog’s overall health and previous medical conditions may affect how quickly he or she is able to recover from a joint problem. For example, if your dog has previously torn a ligament and then sprains it, it may take him or her more time to heal.
- Age. As you might expect, younger dogs usually get well faster, while elderly dogs may take longer to heal.
- Breed. Dogs come in all shapes, sizes, and structures. Since they are so diverse, a dog’s breed often plays a role in how he or she recovers. For example, Pet Health Network explains that German Shepherds, Labradors, Dachshunds, Rottweilers, Newfoundlands, Great Danes, Saint Bernards, Old English Sheep Dogs, and Mastiffs are “predisposed to joint problems” due to their breeds.
- Size. A dog’s stature may affect how efficiently or effectively he or she can recover from a joint injury. For example, according to Animal Planet, “small pups that were bred for certain qualities, like short legs, face more problems than other breeds.” In contrast, larger dogs may put more pressure on their joints, so it may take longer to see recovery results in these pets.
- Weight. A slim, lean dog may have an easier time recovering from joint damage than a heavy dog since extra weight puts extra pressure on your pet’s joints.
- Activity level. The amount of exercise your dog is used to may also have an impact on how well he or she recovers from a joint condition. For instance, if your dog is used to flying through the air for tennis balls and running laps around your backyard all day, it may take more time for him or her to get back up to this intensity of activity. Meanwhile, a dog who normally tends to lounge most of the day may be able to return to his or her regular activities relatively easily and quickly.
- How much time has passed? As we mentioned above, recovery doesn’t happen overnight. Closer to the injury, dogs will typically still be struggling with effects, but as more time passes, it should begin to heal.
These are some of the most common elements that can affect your dog’s recovery process. Remember that each journey and positive outcome is specific to each unique dog.
There are various treatment and therapy options you can utilize to help your dog regain his or her strength after a joint injury. These include:
- Surgery. For a minor sprain or strain, you may not need to take your pet to the vet, but more complicated injuries, such as a torn ligament, could require a procedure.
- High-tech laser or radiotherapy. These types of frequencies may alleviate discomfort and inflammation, allowing your dog to both feel and heal better.
- Massage. Both humans’ and dogs’ hurt joints benefit from massage, which can increase blood flow to injured areas and relieve pain.
- Physical therapy. This type of treatment involves working on specific exercises to help your dog improve his or her range of motion, flexibility, strength, and other aspects of his or her joint health. Just like physical therapy for humans, this can be quite advantageous.
- Prescription medicines. Some veterinarians recommend NSAIDs, or Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs, to help dogs deal with swelling and discomfort. These may be very helpful in the short-term, but they can also have negative health effects on your dog’s organs.
- Dietary changes. Your dog’s nutrition can also help (or hinder) his or her joint health. Certain foods worsen inflammation and other joint-related symptoms, while others actually reduce swelling.
- Pet Supplements. Humans take vitamins and supplements to enhance their nutrition. Your dog can also benefit from certain foods and substances he or she might not usually or easily eat. At Pet Wellness Direct, we specialize in offering helpful supplements as helpful solutions for dogs’ joint problems. One of our best products to prevent and address this specific type of ailment is VetSmart Formulas Advanced Hip + Joint Complex. Since recovery from joint injuries can take some time, the dosage for your dog may also need to be heavier in the beginning, while your pet becomes accustomed to the supplement. You will also need to wean your dog off any similar supplements before starting this new product. As the VetSmart Formulas Advanced Hip + Joint Complex takes effect, you may be able to gradually lower the dose. Dog owners usually notice an improvement in their pets’ health and joint function within a month (but, of course, each pet is different). We offer a 30-day money back guarantee if the product does not work for your dog.
These are just a few of the strategies you might use to aid your dog in handling his or her joint problems. Whatever treatment (or combination of treatments) you choose, it’s most important that you remain patient and consistent. Calmly, steadily providing daily assistance to your dog is the best way to help your pet heal. In addition, you as the pet owner are closest to your dog, so you need to use your best judgment in terms of adjusting his or her dose, managing pain, and getting results.
Advanced Hip + Joint Complex
w/ Green-Lipped Mussel, Sea Cucumber, & MSM
Relieve Your Dog's Arthritis + Joint Pain - Fast & Highly Effective!Learn More
Probiotic Nutrient Enhancer
Best-on-the-market w/ 15 Billion active cultures
Maximize Your Dog's Nutrient Absorption And Support Healthy DigestionLearn More
The Research-Backed Recovery Benefits of Green-Lipped Mussel
One of the reasons we feel so strongly about our VetSmart Formulas Advanced Hip + Joint Complex is because it contains green-lipped mussel. Studies have found this powerful ingredient to have numerous benefits for joint health.
For example, a 2011 article published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America explained that an “extract of Perna canaliculus (New Zealand green-lipped mussel) has reportedly displayed anti-inflammatory effects in animal models and in human controlled studies.” In addition, the scientists who wrote this article “[confirmed] that the...extract of the green-lipped mussel includes” a fat “that is more effective” than an alternative treatment option. Furthermore, a 2013 piece in the Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research concluded that the green-lipped mussel “diet had a beneficial effect on gait function” in dogs. This indicates that green-lipped mussel can clearly help pets with joint problems, especially those that might affect how they walk.
Other Beneficial Ingredients in VetSmart Formulas Advanced Hip + Joint Complex
In addition to the joint repair powerhouse that is green-lipped mussel, VetSmart Formulas Advanced Hip + Joint Complex contains several other helpful, thoroughly-investigated ingredients. These include:
- Glucosamine. According to an article from the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, humans who “had been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis...reported they perceived a decrease in pain ranging from 1 to 2 points on the pain scale” since “taking glucosamine sulfate at the recommended dose...for 6 months or longer.” A 2017 piece in Online Veterinary Journal notes that “glucosamine hydrochloride…[is] commonly recommended by veterinarians for treating osteoarthritis in dogs.” Glucosamine can help both humans and dogs better manage and heal from joint injuries.
- MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane). The “effect sizes” for “methylsulfonylmethane… [is] considered to be clinically relevant” regarding the treatment of osteoarthritis,” as per a 2018 article in Current Rheumatology Reports. MSM is an up-and-coming supplement when it comes to both human and dog joint health.
- Sea Cucumber. A 2011 journal article explains that “most of the sea cucumber uses have been validated through scientific and ethnopharmacological research...a myriad of bioactive...have shown multiple biological activities such as… anti-inflammatory.” This suggests that cucumber may work to decrease swelling and improve joint health.
These natural yet effective ingredients further bolster VetSmart Formulas Hip + Joint Complex’s capacity to improve dogs’ wellbeing as they recover from joint issues.
VetSmart Formulas Hip + Joint Complex May Be Right For Your Dog If…
This natural, versatile supplement can help enhance your pets’ joint health in a number of different circumstances. You may consider using this outstanding product if your dog:
- Has arthritis. As we’ve discussed throughout this article and as the research related to this supplement’s ingredients suggests, it may be especially helpful in treating canine arthritis.
- Is elderly. Joint issues tend to worsen with age. If your dog is older, it may be a good idea to begin boosting his or her joint health.
- Has mobility issues. This supplement can help alleviate discomfort, reduce inflammation, and improve your dog’s ability to move around.
- Suffers from hip dysplasia. According to the American Kennel Club, “canine hip dysplasia is a common skeletal condition...the hip joint functions as a ball and socket. In dogs with hip dysplasia, the ball and socket do not fit or develop properly, rubbing and grinding instead of sliding smoothly. This results in deterioration over time and an eventual loss of function of the joint itself.” Since VetSmart Formulas Hip + Joint Complex supports general joint health, it can be of great use to dogs with hip dysplasia.
- Impact from jumping. If your dog tends to play rough and jump onto hard surfaces, this type of activity could put undue pressure on his or her joints. This supplement can help support joint health and mitigate the consequences of these impacts.
These are just a few of the situations in which dogs can benefit from this supplement. Broadly speaking, this product can help any dog suffering from any sort of joint condition. It can also help strengthen healthy dogs’ joints as a preventive measure.
When to See a Vet
We’ve provided a variety of suggestions for helping your dog recover from a joint problem in this article. However, if, during this process, you ever become doubtful or unsure, we recommend that you get advice from a veterinarian as soon as you can. Professional assistance can aid you in getting your dog on the road to recovery.
Help Your Dog Recover with Pet Wellness Direct
If you want to harness the power of green-lipped mussel to help your dog recuperate from a joint injury, Pet Wellness Direct is here for you. Order a bottle of our VetSmart Formulas Advanced Hip + Joint Complex today. For more information about joint injuries in dogs and what you can do to help yours recuperate, read our eBook on Healing Your Dog’s Joint Pain.